Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SMS Server Tools 3 via cellular (USB)-dongle

Oh, there a serveral sites discussing implementation of various hardware running with the smsservertools, their forum is a good source.
For my part I found out that Huaweii-dongles work well, that also counts thousand of their provider-branded models out there. 

There are also pure serial-based solutions you can buy, they have their own documented setup for the tools - but I don't like old serial stuff...

The dongle I use is a branded T-Mobile Huawei E3276.

You will need to configure this file with smstoolsservice:

Code:
#
# /etc/smsd.conf
#
# Description: Main configuration file for the smsd
#

devices = GSM1
outgoing = /var/spool/sms/outgoing
checked = /var/spool/sms/checked
incoming = /var/spool/sms/incoming
logfile = /var/log/smstools/smsd.log
infofile = /var/run/smstools/smsd.working
pidfile = /var/run/smstools/smsd.pid
outgoing = /var/spool/sms/outgoing
checked = /var/spool/sms/checked
failed = /var/spool/sms/failed
incoming = /var/spool/sms/incoming
sent = /var/spool/sms/sent
stats = /var/log/smstools/smsd_stats
loglevel = 7

#[provider]

[GSM1]
device = /dev/tmobile_dongle
incoming = yes
outgoing = yes
memory_start = 1
sending_disabled = no

That "/dev/tmobile_dongle" is the symlink I've created, for making reboots possible without losing connection to the dongle (following the link in my OT)

It's a bit tricky to setup, and hard to automate for plugnplay, but having an SMS-gateway running on nagios is a great feature. You can also let incoming sms be parsed and execute scripts to powercycle the modem or router, possibilities are endless.

Cheers!

Messages In This Thread
SMS Server Tools 3 via cellular (USB)-dongle - by donald24 - 03-16-2019, 12:17 PM
RE: SMS Server Tools 3 via cellular (USB)-dongle - by Robbie Ferguson - 03-18-2019, 03:04 PM
RE: SMS Server Tools 3 via cellular (USB)-dongle - by donald24 - 03-18-2019, 05:44 PM