Category5.TV Community Forum

Full Version: Updating Raspbian on NEMS rpi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
RPi-Monitor shows me there are 80 updates available for my RasPi.
Is it save to update the raspbian packages (in an ssh session) on my NEMS or should I just wait for a NEMS update to get the updated packages?
NEMS automatically applies security-related updates and patches. Any updates would be various Linux packages.

You are perfectly safe to upgrade and/or dist-upgrade NEMS as you would with any other distro. Just be sure to always have a current backup.nems file just in case you ever run into a snag and want to revert by re-flashing to the current downloadable img.

It's not really "necessary" since these are not security fixes, but it should not break anything (generally speaking - I can't control what upstream updates, and it can technically happen).

Robbie
Quote:RPi-Monitor shows me there are 80 updates available for my RasPi.

Is it save to update the raspbian packages (in an ssh session) on my NEMS or should I just wait for a NEMS update to get the updated packages?

Did you find updating theĀ 80 packages broke anything? just curious myself. Currently have 81 updates to apply
Hi Simon,

Because Robbie wrote security-related updates are applied automatically I did not feel the need to update immediately.
I just decided to update, after backing up my config, and everything seems to run fine after the update/upgrade.
RPi-monitor still shows there are 83 upgradable packages, I think it needs some time to refresh the count.

Joe