Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Guy With Questions!

Hi Jerryac,
The ping to your Ring device will tell you if it has lost connection. From your question, it sounds like you're interested in seeing the actual packets that the Ring is communicating through your network. That sounds more like something you'd have in your router (unrelated to NEMS Linux). Perhaps upgrade your router to a MikroTik, or see if there's a firmware you can upgrade your current router to allow viewing packet flow. Otherwise, you'd have to set something up like a proxy to be able to monitor the traffic.

Yes, you can access your NEMS server from outside your LAN if you like. Again, this is done from your router (not to do with NEMS). You just need to open the ports you want and point them to your NEMS server.

Let me know if you're not sure how to do this, though if that is the case I would hesitate to proceed until you feel confident you understand network security. Also, make sure you have a very strong password for your NEMS user and I'd suggest against opening ports that you don't specifically need (eg., do not open 21 or 9090, but do open 80, 443).

Good luck. Have fun!

Robbie
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:

Messages In This Thread
New Guy With Questions! - by Jerryac - 11-30-2018, 09:25 PM
RE: New Guy With Questions! - by Robbie Ferguson - 12-01-2018, 09:15 AM