Hello There, Guest!  
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mount USB external drive

plexpi 1.2

Just loaded this image on my pi.  Love it so far.  But how do i permanently mount a USB external drive so I can read it across my home network.  This is also so I can transfer my new movies directly to the external drive without unplugging and plugging it back to the pi.

I'm also trying to SSH into the pi via my terminal (Mac) but don't know the user name and password.

thanks for your help in advance
This whole post is exactly what I'm currently trying to do! 

My main problem is the default username/password that I can't find. 

Anyway, I was going to try turning the plexpi into some kind of (more normal) server on top of the Plex software so that I can access the hdd from other computers in my network. I still have to do a lot of research on that, though. I'm a relative noob with this sort of thing. 

Just to be sure, have you enabled SSH on your RPi? This is the main RPi documentation.
The username and password by default is : 
Username : pi
Password : plexpi1

To transfer file from your main computer to the HDD, you can use filezilla. You can find documentation (in French) here : http://raspberrypis.net/transferer-facil...pberry-pi/

The ssh is already activated, don't sorry about this.

Do a blkid and see what UUID your device is you want to mount.

Make a folder like in /media like this:

mkdir /media/USB-stick

Name it what you want.

then do a nano /etc/fstab

Add a line like this:

UUID=0834a8a9-629c-4456-9cce-921b930a6dab       /media/64GB_stick       ext4   defaults 0       0

But change the UUID number and the 64GB_stick and even the ext4 if yours is not in that format.

Or install Webmin and it makes it easy to mount a drive and save it to /etcfstab. Just look on line for install webmin on ubuntu and can find how. I did this all on a 8GB SD card. It all fits 

Code:
[email protected]:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       6.2G  5.0G 1002M  84% /
devtmpfs        460M     0  460M   0% /dev
tmpfs           464M  7.2M  457M   2% /dev/shm
tmpfs           464M   13M  452M   3% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           464M     0  464M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1   41M   21M   20M  52% /boot
tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/1000
tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/0
/dev/sdb1        30G   89M   30G   1% /media/pi/6236-3833
/dev/sda1        59G  5.7G   50G  11% /media/64GB_stick
[email protected]:~#

My mounts look like that on my Pi 3. The 8GB boot is using 84% with Webmin on it and all the updates. I use the 64GB stick to store some videos on.

-Raymond Day
Thanks all for your input.

df -h gives me:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 6.2G 5.0G 980M 84% /
devtmpfs 460M 0 460M 0% /dev
tmpfs 464M 7.6M 457M 2% /dev/shm
tmpfs 464M 13M 452M 3% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 464M 0 464M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 41M 21M 20M 52% /boot
/dev/sda2 3.7T 110M 3.7T 1% /home/share/public/plexpi4tb
tmpfs 93M 0 93M 0% /run/user/1000

/dev/sda2 is my usb drive im trying to mount.

When i look for it in my Mac finder it doesn't seem mounted cause i'm reading only 1.03 GB for that folder.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with my external drive being a exFat format?

I'm stuck. Please help.

Thanks.
I gave up on exFat and just reformatted my drive to hfsplus (Mac).

Then I followed this post:

http://sammit.net/how-to-make-a-raspberr...samba-hfs/

and added this line in the smb.conf file:

force user = "root"

Then run this on cmdline:

sudo chmod -R 755 "/your media directory"

Now it works!!
The username/password are in the release notes on the Google Drive share.

How Linux savvy are you? To setup permanent mounting of the drive (beyond what is shown in the video tutorial) requires setting up an fstab entry. If you're unfamiliar with this procedure, let me know and I'll work on creating some documentation (or an easier way to do it).

It'll progressively get easier/better as the project grows... it's very young so far.  Smile
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
I'm ok with Linux. I successfully did it with the steps in my previous post. But I'm still having some issues permanently mounting a NAS thats on my network. I seem to can't find the correct fstab line. A step by step would be great. love the image so far. thanks.
Great!

I did a tutorial on doing this very thing on a RetroPie... I will do one for PlexPi - but to save you having to wait, check it out and adapt it on the fly to what we're doing with PlexPi. PlexPi and RetroPie are the same underneath the hood so the concept and process is pretty much identical (just your mount point name and location will be different).

Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
I always refer back to this thread when I need to build my PlexPi from scratch. Some useful links and info:

Resize SD Card Root Partition https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu...-partition

My fstab addition to mount my NAS to the Plex: //192.168.xxx.xxx/Movie /PandorasBox cifs vers=1.0,password=,auto,defaults,nofail 0 0

My samba entry:

[PandorasBox] comment = PandorasBox PlexPi
path = /PandorasBox
valid users = @users
force group = users
create mask = 0660
directory mask = 0771
read only = no
force user = root