Hello There, Guest!  
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

samba for plex

using v1.2 of plexpi,,,,,,working great thanks........samba would be a great add to the image ,,,,connecting to windows network would enable copying across content to a drive on the pi with ease...
Just log in to it and do this with user name pi and password plexpi1

Then sudo su So you can save the smb.conf as root

Then do a apt install samba

Then nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

Got all the way to the end and put this there:

[media]

writeable = yes
comment = All media
path = /media
browseable = yes
public = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
force user = pi

Save it with CTRL W then CTRL X to exit.

restart samba with /etc/init.d/samba restart

Go to //plexpi and it will show all mounted in media folder.

-Raymond Day
Hi Raymond,
I had to run sudo apt-get update before installing samba otherwise it was erroring out.

How can I see all my network shares?

Thanks!
It's on the roadmap for sure! The reason Samba has not yet been implemented is because I have no control over what you call your drives connected to PlexPi - so it takes some knowledge on your end to map the Samba share correctly. Eventually, I will have PlexPi include a web interface that lets you configure these types of settings.
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
Hello, please help me. Ive got plexPi installed working ok but wanted to use the drive as a NAS too so tried installing samba as mentioned here but when i do "nano ec/samba/smb.conf" it says the file doesn't exist? I tried double checking samba installed correctly and it had no issues?

Please help a pi noob out!
Thanks
that should be /etc/ not ec/
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
I'm getting a "Folder can't be opened because you don't have permission to view its contents" error when I try to access the PlexPi attached USB drive from my Mac. I've tried changing the permissions on the /pi/media directory and drives contained there. I'm pretty green to linux, though I've set up a couple Raspberry Pi's now for home automation and this media server. Any help and extra patience appreciated!