Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

BUGS/FEATURES SUGGESTIONS

Hi @Robbie Ferguson,
thanks for your great work, you dragged me into the world of the PI and you're inspiring me to do some other projects Smile

I'm a software engineer, so I'm into this stuff every day Smile

After few days of usage, I've observed some things that would be great to have/fix:
  • - SD didn't expand automatically at the first boot. I had to do it manually via raspi-config. Not a big issue but I just want to give you a feedback since you assumed it was working correctly
  • - pi password: I want to change it, are there any other additional steps to do it other than just changing the linux user password? I'm wondering if it's stored somewhere else to enable the default booting user
  • - PMS update: can we do it ourselves or do we need to wait for your next release? I remember I read that you were planning to include an automatic updater. If we need to flash the SD card again, it would be great to have a way to backup our PMS configuration (libraries, pictures, subtitles, watched status)
  • - Automatic scan for new content doesn't seem to work. I've added a couple of new tv shows episodes and after 4 hours they're still not showing up in my library. If I manually launch a scan they get added. Please note that I have my media files on a network HD connected to the router and mounted changing the fstab file. I don't know if this could make a difference, I'm just giving you as many details I can
  • - Web tools: is there a way to install it or maybe have it by default in your next release?
Again, thanks a lot for your work!

Bye

Valerio
Cheers, thanks for the kind words.

Responses below:
  • - SD didn't expand automatically at the first boot. I had to do it manually via raspi-config. Not a big issue but I just want to give you a feedback since you assumed it was working correctly

Hmm, it's supposed to as part of the bootloader. I'll check it out - thanks.

• - pi password: I want to change it, are there any other additional steps to do it other than just changing the linux user password? I'm wondering if it's stored somewhere else to enable the default booting user

sudo passwd pi

• - PMS update: can we do it ourselves or do we need to wait for your next release? I remember I read that you were planning to include an automatic updater. If we need to flash the SD card again, it would be great to have a way to backup our PMS configuration (libraries, pictures, subtitles, watched status)

I'd leave the PMS updates for the moment as it's very likely to break things, until I've had more time to commit to the process itself. This is coming - so I think it's best to just hang tight for the moment (unless you aren't afraid to break things and re-flash).

Yes, a backup is coming too. It'll be based on my NEMS Linux backup process.

• - Automatic scan for new content doesn't seem to work. I've added a couple of new tv shows episodes and after 4 hours they're still not showing up in my library. If I manually launch a scan they get added. Please note that I have my media files on a network HD connected to the router and mounted changing the fstab file. I don't know if this could make a difference, I'm just giving you as many details I can

I'll take a look, thanks. You should be able to trigger this manually from withing Plex as well... click next to the library name and choose re

• - Web tools: is there a way to install it or maybe have it by default in your next release?

You mean in the browser?
Cheers!

Robbie
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
Hi Robbie,
by web tools I mean the PMS plugin that allows you, among the other things, to mange/download the agent downloaded subtitles files.

Is there a way to install it?

Also, I've noticed you release PlexPi 1.3. Is there a way to upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 without re flashing the sd card? I've configured some other things on the Pi I'd like to avoid do that all over again.

Last question, do you think it's worth it to upgrade from B to B+?

Thanks for your work, keep it up!!

Bye

Valerio
If you could send me a link to the add-on, I would gladly have a look and help you set it up.

No, as PlexPi is still in development mode (ie., not a "final" release) there is no upgrade path from version to version. You have to re-flash. 1.3 is definitely worthwhile. 1.4 will be even more so. You should expect to have to reflash every few weeks during this initial development phase. The auto-updater will be added in future, but there's just too much development going on right now to roll them out as auto updates.

I replaced the Pi 3 B with a B+ on our livingroom TV last week and it is very noticeable how much of a difference it makes, yes.

Here is the Web tools link:
http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/288191/...d-appstore

About the auto updates, I'll be really interested at least in migrating the watched/unwatched status. Is there any trick for that? I've also read about trakt to do it, so maybe you can incorporate that as well in your future releases (https://github.com/trakt/Plex-Trakt-Scrobbler)

About the B+ upgrade, I've already ordered it from Amazon, it should arrive next week.

Any improvements on the transcoder side?

Thanks!
WebTools - thanks. I adore the idea of this and will test it for PlexPi 1.4 - if I like it, I'll include it in the next build.

Migration of watched video data - this is coming. It's not here yet. I will not be using third party services such as Trakt.tv. Rather, I will offer a nems-migrator style backup which will let you use my custom-built local (free) or optional off-site backup service (provided to patrons).

Yeah I'd imagine the B+ will offer faster transcoding to some small degree. A few quick facts about the B+:
1) The CPU is clocked out of the box at a frequency higher than the Pi 3 B.
2) The cooling is better on the B+ which means it will stay at a higher frequency and not throttle as much.
3) When throttled, the B+'s lowest clock speed is still faster than the B.

In spite of the manufacturer's claims, I do find the Pi 3 B+ runs hot... so either an aluminum case (built for passive cooling) or one with a fan would be advised.

Thanks,
can't wait for the backup to be implemented!
Great stuff for the B+, I do have the official white plastic case (it matches better with my furniture :) )

I'd like to avoid the fans as it will be always on in the living room.

I've read that the Heatsink Cooler radiators don't actually do anything noticeable. Do you foresee any problems with the standard plastic case?
My plastic case gets too hot for my preference with the Pi 3 B+. I'll be moving it into an aluminum case (eleduino).

That's exactly the one I have. So I should buy an aluminum one? Do you have other stuff running on the pi that could increase the temperature?
No, I'm not mining with it if that's what you mean  Big Grin

Just watching video.

One day I'll buy one of those thermal laser gun thermometers and then I can say cool stuff like "Let me test it and I'll get back to you". For now all I can say is, the plastic case gets hot. I am not comfortable with that. So I'm moving it to aluminum.