Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

V3 Beta Magic

(03-25-2012, 04:02 PM)ajamison Wrote: There are several videos showing end users trying to use metro and most find it confusing and non-intuitive. I know its not final but close enough for MS to deem it consumer "preview" ready.

How many of these would be on the Internet if it had been easy to do when Win 95 came out? Did you complain then too? Oh, and how many people have been thrown in front of Gnome 3, Unity, XFCE, LXDE, etc. and then been recorded and shown on the net if they could use it?

Here is the issue, MS left a bad system in place for so long people got used to it. Now, due to nature, people don't want to change since it "requires more work", even though they don't see how much time it can save in the long-run. It took me a total of a few hours to learn Metro and how to use it efficiently in its current state. If people stop letting their legacy thinking get in the way, Metro is a breeze to use overall. Yea apps currently suck, but it is a fresh framework and things still need to be fully developed and people need to learn how to develop for the new system properly. Even Microsoft's own apps currently suck in tons of ways (don't get me started on the Music App right now!), but once again, will be worked out in time.

You also stated in the discussion about Windows shells that Windows has gotten more secure and stable, and you are right. This is yet another evolution in that. Metro creates the most secure Windows environment to date and the most stable.
CompTIA A+ 602 Certified
Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (Expired)
Google Developer Expert for Web Technology
ok 4 once im guna try and avoid the flame war
i have only tryed metro once when win 8 beta first became available and gave up after about half hour
im not saying it was bad i just didnt have the interest to persue it

so im asking...
how do u use metro do u still use a mouse?
does it have more advantages to use keyboard shortcuts?

also have herd that soluto has a briliant metro app(?) i use it on all my win installs so am interested what the difrences are
[Image: fss.png]
not sent from a Blueberry
not sent from a iCod
I use Metro with a mouse and keyboard. Also with a 27" monitor as my main display and a 17" as a secondary display. I really end up using keyboard shortcuts mostly since it is so much faster (in any situation) but the times I use my mouse to do things it is still very quick to get things done. "More advantages to use keyboard shortcuts.... Difficult one to answer. For me since I like keeping my hands on the keyboard now, yes. Although, if you are someone who uses a mouse most of the time, it still works great after you get used to the new interface.

For the Soluto App, it is used for remote support and I have it installed, but have not tested it yet although I do have 2 systems in place to test with, so I will get back to you in a week or two (if I remember) when I do that.

Really I can associate most of the Metro features with the legacy desktop stuff. The left side of the Metro UI is the taskbar, Start in the same place with App Previews taking the place of the icons themselves (on 7.) Why show icons when only one copy of the app will be open at once? The right side of the Metro UI is like the taskbar, it shows you the time, and gives access to system functions and the ability to access certain app functions without going into the app (or even having it open at first.) Then the top and bottom part of the Metro UI is reserved for app usage. These are going to become the universal place to access an apps global functions and/or settings. So that is one way of thinking of the new UI to try and make it easier to adapt to.

Do NOT test within Virtualbox and think you are getting a good experience, it fails. Virtualbox can't handle Win 8 currently, in the latest update they added a *few* Win 8 things, but I don't expect it to be good enough until a month or two after Win 8 goes to GA. Use a bare machine, or a VMWare solution (parallels for those who have a Mac.) Those solutions can handle it fully without too much of an issue, but still most hotkey's won't work from what I have seen.

Oh, and yes. The secondary taskbar on the non-primary displays is currently too minimal for me, I have suggested that a few features come to it to make Win 8 better with multi-monitor setups.
CompTIA A+ 602 Certified
Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (Expired)
Google Developer Expert for Web Technology
(03-26-2012, 06:30 AM)Garbee Wrote: I use Metro with a mouse and keyboard. Also with a 27" monitor as my main display and a 17" as a secondary display. I really end up using keyboard shortcuts mostly since it is so much faster (in any situation) but the times I use my mouse to do things it is still very quick to get things done. "More advantages to use keyboard shortcuts.... Difficult one to answer. For me since I like keeping my hands on the keyboard now, yes. Although, if you are someone who uses a mouse most of the time, it still works great after you get used to the new interface.

For the Soluto App, it is used for remote support and I have it installed, but have not tested it yet although I do have 2 systems in place to test with, so I will get back to you in a week or two (if I remember) when I do that.

Really I can associate most of the Metro features with the legacy desktop stuff. The left side of the Metro UI is the taskbar, Start in the same place with App Previews taking the place of the icons themselves (on 7.) Why show icons when only one copy of the app will be open at once? The right side of the Metro UI is like the taskbar, it shows you the time, and gives access to system functions and the ability to access certain app functions without going into the app (or even having it open at first.) Then the top and bottom part of the Metro UI is reserved for app usage. These are going to become the universal place to access an apps global functions and/or settings. So that is one way of thinking of the new UI to try and make it easier to adapt to.

Do NOT test within Virtualbox and think you are getting a good experience, it fails. Virtualbox can't handle Win 8 currently, in the latest update they added a *few* Win 8 things, but I don't expect it to be good enough until a month or two after Win 8 goes to GA. Use a bare machine, or a VMWare solution (parallels for those who have a Mac.) Those solutions can handle it fully without too much of an issue, but still most hotkey's won't work from what I have seen.

Oh, and yes. The secondary taskbar on the non-primary displays is currently too minimal for me, I have suggested that a few features come to it to make Win 8 better with multi-monitor setups.

ok... it sounds like i will have to get down and try it at some point
on a side note i cant say i know many "typically idiots" who use keyboard shortcuts past cut/copy, paste and save therefore i personaly cant see a huge advantage, once again i will have to use it my self
[Image: fss.png]
not sent from a Blueberry
not sent from a iCod
Closing thread since my V3 Beta thread got hijacked by Windows 8.
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks: