Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

bad choices in administrator account names

Long time nems user, trying the upgrade to 1.4.x from 1.3.1

I'm doing this on a separate PI, so I can fool with it and not take an outage on the what is now I guess a legacy system, which is just cooking along.

Install it and run the migrator. I think where I am having issues is that my old administrator name was admin. I now know that is a bad idea, and should use something else. That is good advice, if after the fact. I give it a different name, and let it run.

The username of the new NEMS server (xxxxxxx) differs from the old one (admin).

Reconciling the data... Done.
Please note: This patch is applied via a find and replace.
             Therefore, if your old username was something that could be found erroneously,
             eg., 'nagios', your configs may be broken by the replace operation since it will
             find and replace ALL instances of 'nagios'. I cannot possibly account for this.
             To avoid this problem, use very unique usernames.
             If this has occurred, please re-initialize NEMS as 'admin' and restore
             your backup again. There's really no other way.
Job for nagios.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status nagios.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

When I am done, it does not appear nagios is running.

In the generic sense, what is the best way to deal with this? Is there an easy way to change the ID on the source system, and re-migrate? is it possible to patch up the one I've got? I fear even if I find a few instances and correct them, there will be others that I might not encounter until later.

Welcome any thoughts. in the meantime I'll be fooling with this.

Jim
Hey Jim,
Aww, I'm sorry for your sake that I didn't think to block "admin" sooner.
I think the best thing for you to do would be to send me a copy of your support.nems file, and I will do my best to patch it for you and send you a new "custom" backup.nems file.
Cheers,
Robbie
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
So I had this same issue, but kept the transfer on there and manually added the items the didn't transfer in.  I am working on correcting the errors now, but wanted to know if this is a lost cause and the auto rename would have messed up things too much?  If I cannot get this going, i'll be manually copying over all of my settings from 1.3.1.  Im only in town for a few days, so I want to get things going, and updated, while I'm able to.  Thanks for all your help!
Odd you should mention this just now. This past weekend I went to 1.4.1 and rebuilt from scratch. Along the way I tidied up a number of things I wish I had done a bit differently to start with.

It worked out for me.
bhil923 as I mentioned to JatBee above, if you'd care to send me your support.nems file from the old NEMS server, I can change the user details for you to prevent the issue on import and fix your config.

JatBee - yeah, sometimes that's a great solution too since you likely have learned a lot more about how things work and will want to do it differently. With NEMS 1.5 this is especially true because there are many new check commands included OOTB.

Enjoy.
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks: