Hello There, Guest!  
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Current Load - Warning / Critical

Any suggestions on why my NEMS server is generating warnings and criticals for current load?  This is a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, with only NEMS running on it.  Since I see lots of people running R-Pi3s and even R-Pi Zeros, it seems as if I should not be having load issues.

So far, I detected that it would spike after a reboot, as it looked like it was trying to query all the hosts at once at 15 minute intervals.  Since there are only six [6] hosts being monitored, I went in and manually changed the periods so that they are staggered [host1 = 12 min, host2 = 13 min, etc].

The 1, 5, 15 min parameters are set as follows:
Warning:  5.0, 4.0, 3.0
Critical:    10.0, 6.0, 4.0

I haven't saved all the emails it generated, but samples are:
WARNING - load average: 6.07, 5.50, 3.27
WARNING - load average: 3.79, 3.87, 3.64
WARNING - load average: 4.46, 4.26, 3.45

After some time it will settle down, and the post-revovery numbers look like this:
OK - load average: 1.32, 3.09, 2.88
OK - load average: 2.10, 2.31, 2.74

Obviously, I COULD raise the thresholds for triggering the warnings, but if I can determine that there is some way to lower the load, that would be preferable.

Thoughts?
anybody???
Hi experimenter,
Can you provide a support.nems file so I can point you in the right direction?

It's not abnormal for a Raspberry Pi to have a pretty high load when working hard... it is what it is... but hitting a load average of 6 isn't something to be concerned about... just may want to adjust your alert thresholds for the NEMS server itself.

If your i7 was hitting a load average of 6, you'd wanna know. But a Pi hitting 6 is not overly abnormal (as long as it's happening in spikes, not 24/7).

Lemme know.
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
OK, I'll get you the file.  Can you remind me where to locate it?

Thanks in advance,