Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Challenge with nems-restore

First and foremost, Merry Christmas, and I certainly do not expect a response in the next couple of days. Posting now while the issue is fresh in my mind.

I am having some challenges with restoring NEMS. This is being done as a test to make sure the restore process works as expected. This is being done with an RPI 3 B+ and a variety of sd cards.

Two specific failures that I have noticed are happening upon restore; 1. the check commands in Nconf lose all of their 'params description' and the 'amount of params' is set to 1 on all of them; 2. the systems settings are not being restored.

I have multiple backups of 3 different NEMS environments on 3 different RPIs (again, doing lots of testing). Two of the environments are up and running with no issues (all the data is there).  Every time I restore any of the backups I have the same issues with the restored NEMS instance.

The backup process being used is as simple as I can make it; flash the sd card with the nems 1.4.1 image; init NEMS; ftp a backup.nems file to the home directory (instead of using a thumb drive); then run nems-restore /home/xxx/backup.nems.   The restore appears to work correctly (I am not using a personal encryption password for the testing).  But then when I go to system settings and Rconf the data specified above is missing.

The advanced services show that the original (default) parameters are there, but when they are opened for editing there is only "arg1" for each (with the data for "arg1" present) this of course is because the check commands are all set to 1 param. When I attempt to create a new advanced service using a check command with more than one argument, only "arg1" is displayed (again, only 1 param on the check command). And then when I go to the check commands themselves, the data specified above is missing.

I can change the check commands and put the data back in but that's kind of a daunting task, and I'm not sure what else might be going on.

Hope someone can tell me I am doing something basically wrong... 'user error' is one of my strengths Smile

Thanks, Steve aka hudtheitguy
Merry Christmas to you as well!

Thanks for the report, Steve.

Any chance I could get a copy of your support.nems file? I'd like to have a look and see if this is a bug or if it's specific to your setup. Either way, I'd like to fix it.

Thanks,
Robbie
Robbie Ferguson // The Bald Nerd

Did I help you out? Appreciate what I do? Please consider saying thanks:
Thanks for the quick reply Robbie.  PM'ed you with the support file.

Steve
Hi Steve,
Please follow the directions in nems-support (PM is not accepted) - I'll gladly have a look.

Thanks,
Robbie

I just attempted to do an upgrade to nems 1.5. Imaged a new sd card, booted the pi, ran nems-init then did an osb restore. Everything appears fine except the check command arguments. All the check commands have been reset to 1... even though all the default arguments are still there. This is the same behavior I saw back when I started this thread. Any ideas on how to fix this? It will be a pain to have to go through and update every check command... thanks and let me know if you want / need more information from me or if you want me to do anything.
Could you throw me a copy of your support.nems file from NEMS 1.4.1 to test with? This shouldn't be an issue in 1.5 - but because the Pi version of 1.5 is yet to be publicly released, there are potential issues. Let's work this out before the public release. Pop me an email or visit me on Discord when you have a chance - thanks!

Well perhaps a new morning solved this problem.  Before going to the support routine I went to look one final time at the check command parameters in the nems 1.5 restore, and they are all correct. I don't know if I was staring at this too long the other day or if I mixed up a 1.4 restore with a 1.5 restore. It appears to all be ok now; the check command 'number of parameters' (for about the 10 I used as a sample) were all correct.
I am going to test a couple more restores (from 1.4 to 1.5) to make sure it's ok, and we can call it a day on this issue, as far as restoring from 1.4 to 1.5 goes. I will do this today and reply back in this thread.
Great - glad it appears to be working for you after-all.

Thanks for the update.